Thursday, June 28, 2012

The Day I Barely Aged

Saturday, June 23/Sunday, June 24

Today has been an extremely eventful day. It is also rather confusing and mind-torturing to discuss. I am now in Fukuoka, Japan, an international port city on the western side of this wonderful country. I am typing this blog at 12:00AM Japan time, which would mean it is 10:00AM States-side.

Fourteen hours ahead, David and I spent pretty much all day in sun-shiny brightness. I’m not even kidding about that. Being sent off by our respective pairs of wonderful parents at 4:30 in the morning on June 23rd, David and I made it easily through security (there wasn’t much of a line so early in the morning). So, we found our gate and sat, waiting for the plane and our departure. Well, our plane took off about 6:45, the sun rise just starting to dust the world in oranges and pinks. From there, it grew to be the fiery yellow orb that blinded us the rest of the day…

David and I managed to get seats together on our flight from MEM to DFW, a short 2 hour flight. A fun ride spent chatting and wondering what Japan would be like, the time passed rather quickly. So, about 8:40AM, we arrive at the Dallas-Fort Worth, Texas airport. We find our gate easily, then, too, having to take the fun little tram system over one terminal. This was the trip that would take us to the beloved country of Japan. But our stomachs were growling; so, we put off discussing more about Japan as we headed to places with food. David got something called “grasshopper bark” from The Chocolate Factory, a mix of dark chocolate and mint. I went to Auntie Anne’s and retrieved for myself a delicious cinnamon sugar pretzel with light cream cheese dipping sauce. Delicious, I tell you!

Anyway, the two of us finished our food well before the flight. At one point, we went up to the desk for our gate D33, and asked the attendant, a young Japanese woman, if she could possibly put the two of us together. She agreed but said it would take some doing and that she would need some time. So, we went to sit back down. I worked on getting my Regions Now card to work internationally. David was nice and waited patiently for me to finish the twenty minute process. Then we went to discussing more Japan.

We were called back to the desk right before our flight began to board. The woman had done it! (One of her associates even said, “She worked a miracle!” referring to the difficulty of placing David and I next to one another. But next to one another we were!) This flight left around 10:40AM, a thirteen hour flight ahead. What does that mean? First off, because we were going on a route that took us through the British Columbia of Canada, the bottom edge of Alaska, and over a small section of the Pacific Ocean, our flight was 13 hours. Thirteen…. I know that might not sound like too much. But have you a) ever had to sit for that long, cramped beside the body next to you, or b) had to take a flight so long just to never once be able to truly fall asleep? Yeah… Well, both of those were the cases for David and myself. Thank goodness, he and I were by a window, in seats A and B, the only two chairs before an aisle opened up to E, F, G, H, J. We did not have to deal with a crazy or annoying neighbor. It was torture enough simply trying to sleep or find a position capable of sleep. I maybe (and I stress “maybe”) got two hours’ worth of sleep on that 13 hour plane ride.  David got even less than I did…

Eventually, after that grueling flight that raced the sun in the setting direction, leaving the plane coasting in a blinding world of sun-dazzled clouds and darkening atmosphere, we landed in Narita. I have NEVER been so excited during any of my travels. For so long I’ve dreamed of going to Japan, and I’ve watched shows and movies and the like set in Japan. So, I had a little idea of what it looked like. However, finally seeing that glorious land, I could not hold my enthusiasm. David can tell you because I kept tapping him and squealing like a silly school girl about how excited I was! Finally, finally, finally, I was seeing Japan with my own two eyes! (Granted through a plane’s glass window…)

Eventually, my excitement turned to slight anxiety and mostly focus as David and I found out we had to claim our baggage at the Narita Airport before we could board our flight for Fukuoka. Neither of us expecting such a turn of events, we followed the many other people—mostly native Japanese-speaking individuals that neither of us could fully communicate with. The line to pass through customs was HUGE!!! I kid you not! There had to have been at least 300 or more individuals needing to pass through customs. However, in our confusion, I pulled David out of line because I thought there was a form we had to fill out. By doing that and looking around confusedly and anxiously, a kind Japanese woman approached us. David asked her about the forms. (He was the one that did the asking of just about any and all questions or concerns we had… I’m a coward… >.>) Anyway, the woman told us to fill the forms out and go talk to her! What do you know: we fill out the forms and basically bypass all of the 300 other people save for about 5 already in the line the kind woman placed us in. Now, in the Priority Line, David and I could pass through customs quickly to get to the flight that left in about an hour.

Customs is a LOT less stressful in Japan. The people are SO much nicer and they don’t treat you condescendingly or with impatience. It was great. I’ve never felt so invited to a country before. :) They had David and I press our forefingers on to fingerprint scanners, then smile for a camera’s picture. The man stapled something into our passports, and we were through, free to go claim our baggage.

We made it to baggage claim and, after another 10 or so minutes of trying to find someone that spoke enough English to understand David’s question, we managed to reach the check-in for JAL to Fukuoka. Then we sought for the gate.

Honestly, at this point, I was exhausted. We both were. No sleep in at least 20 hours, if not more (in my case). I told David to go to the wrong gate…. So, we stood there for about 10 or more minutes trying to figure out why the boards did not show our flight. Finally, I went back to the flight information board. I realized my mistake. I had sent us downstairs when we should have gone upstairs… I felt terrible, but the two of us were very relieved to have found the gate for our flight to Fukuoka.

The flight to Fukuoka was not very entertaining. We managed seats together for the third and final leg of our journey, for which the both of us were extremely grateful, and I nodded off during the flight. Oddly, after almost 20 hours worth of travel in only sunshine, it had started raining when we were about 20 minutes out from reaching Fukuoka. (The world outside the plane was pure white on all sides; it felt sorta like that scene in Harry Potter Deathly Hallows Part 2 after Harry has died.) One could not see the horizon, nor the Pacific Ocean, nor even the clouds themselves for their shapes. The sun lit the world just as before, but this time, with rain running sideways across the windows, I could not help but think David and I were actually in a train-submarine-thing that was traveling in milky white, unbroken waves of water. The rain looked more like bubbles streaming along the side of the airliner than rain running parallel to the transport’s body.

Eventually, we landed in Fukuoka. We gathered our bags and were met by two female Japanese students. They brought us by taxi to the I-House, where David and I are now living for the next five weeks.

We parted ways as we went to our separate rooms. I was unpacking when I heard a knock on the door. Actually, my door was knocked on quite a few times, each time a different Japanese girl introducing herself to me! It was awesome. The last one to introduce herself was Sumika ( すみか). She invited me to go with her and some other students to an いざかや, Japanese style bar for friends to meet and hang out. It was a lot of fun! David had gone, too, which made it easy for me to open up and talk to people since I always seem to need a friend around in order to be more sociable. Another guy from UTM, Charles, actually happened to come to the same program, oddly but epically enough! I met a guy from Singapore (Toh), a girl from France Audrey, Ryan (an American), and Alecs (a guy from Colorado who’s lived in Japan a while who lives in Hawaii when not in Japan or something like that). There are plenty of others, but I’m not very good with lots of names in a short time span. I’m also extremely tired because it will have been 48 hours I’ve gone without sleep, soon enough.


Many of you will be shocked and proud of me, by the way. At the izakaya, Sumika ordered yakitori (やきとり) for all of us. Yakitori literally means "pieces of chicken on skewers," but this included a bunch of other things on skewers, besides chicken pieces, though those were the main things, I think. One of those things was pig heart..... >.> Here's the shocking part: I actually tried that... x.x It was NOT pleasant, texture-wise. Tasty, though, it was... So, yeah. I've now tried pig heart... That would be something I could live without eating again. But I guess I would eat it again, if I was starving, and if it was cooked that way again. I would just need a lot of water... >.< Anyway, there were other things like pig Achilles tendon, chicken skin, little Vienna sausage type things (pretty standard by way of sausage), chicken (like breast meat), some beef pieces, a green pepper (which I also ate but was one of the only two things I ate there that night), and some other gross sounding/looking things (like a full fish that was 6 inches long and looked like a sardine I think looks....). That night I also had some sake!!! It was actually really, really good! It was flavored with apple and I loved it! So, yeah. Cure to my dislike for sake (さけ) = add a delicious, fruity, sweet flavoring! :D



All right. Well, good night to you all! It will actually be morning, but for my sanity’s sake, and for consistency, I will only refer to the Japanese time unless I’m wanting to clarify the time difference.

*Note: The reason this blog was not posted sooner and the reason there are others that came out at the exact time is because Seinan Gakuin’s wi-fi is currently down or inaccessible or something like that. So, I’m writing this even though I’ve not internet access, and I’m hoping to go to college or the armed forces, in order to make some kind of difference. Well, love you all! さようなら!!


P.S. We have wi-fi and received it Wednesday Japan time. But I've been busy and needed to edit what I'd written Sunday night. 


P.P.S. The title is simply talking about how I didn't experience night, so it seemed like I didn't age because time didn't seem to really move. :P

No comments:

Post a Comment